Ten Facts about Gilwell Park
Gilwell Park is the international centre of the Scouting movement.
- Gilwell Park was bought for The Scout Association in 1919, by Mr. de Bois Maclaren for £10,000
- The land was previously owned by King Henry VIII, who built a hunting lodge for his son Edward. A later owner of the land built around the lodge, which eventually became the White House
- The Greenwich Meridian (the line of zero longitude) runs through the campsite
- Behind the White House is the stone ballustrade from the London Bridge which was pulled down in 1923
- The campsite is believed to be haunted. For more than 60 years no one would live in the house. Those ghostly noises were later traced to a hidden well. The ghost of Margaret Chinnery has been seen along the Lime Walk that she planted
- At the 1929 Jamboree at Arrowe Park, Scouts from 69 countries saw B-P created Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell
- A 2nd World War air-raid created the "Bomb Hole" which was enlarged and is used for canoeing
- On the Buffalo Lawn is a bronze Buffalo, given by the Boy Scouts of America in memory of the unknown Scout who led to the creation of the Boy Scouts in America
- The Barnacle which is now used as the Service Team Den, was previously a hospital. Meals are eaten in what was an operating theatre!
- The Chief Scout of the UK, George Purdy, was invested at Gilwell in 1996